Ingredients (makes two small glasses)
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp stewed rhubarb (in water and a little sugar)
- 1 heaped tbsp homemade goji berry flaxseed (see recipe a few posts below)
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 cup apple or orange juice (optional)
- linseeds and yoghurt to serve (optional)
1. Start by making the stewed rhubarb. Cut up the rhubarb and boil up some water in a saucepan. Add the rhubarb to the pan and simmer on a medium heat until the rhubarb is soft. Strain the rhubarb and sprinkle a little sugar on top. Leave it to cool. (If you make more than you need you can eat it with yoghurt for breakfast or as a pudding.
2. Place the banana, orange and rhubarb in a tall mixer and whizz up for a few minutes.
3. Add the flaxseed and the mint and mix until a thick paste forms. The rhubarb might be stringy so make sure it is fully mixed.
4. This smoothie is quite thick so you might want to add some orange or apple juice. I put the glasses of smoothie in the fridge before serving (without juice), and ate them as a cold mousse pudding using a spoon. I also topped the smoothies with linseeds and yoghurt swirls.