Don't you love it when you find a recipe that you know you'll use time and time again. This is one such recipe, from Yummly.com. It is absolutely delicious and slightly healthier than normal chocolate cake because it doesn't contain flour.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 1 1/4 cup of amaretti biscuits (about 25 small ones)
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 a cup of unsalted butter, softened (about 125g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces good quality chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Start by preheating the oven to 180°c and greasing a 9" cake tin.
2. Place the amaretti biscuits and almonds in a food processor and whizz until a fine meal forms. A bit of crunch is good! Put this mixture into a bowl, stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
3. Heat a little water in a small saucepan. Put a bowl on top of the saucepan and make sure that it doesn't touch the water. Break the chocolate into the bowl and stir until it's melted. Leave this to cool while you finish the rest of the cake.
4. Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor for a couple of minutes. Slowly add the eggs one at a time (with the motor running), and scrape down the sides with a spatular.
5. Finally add the almond mixture and melted chocolate to the food processor, and stir in the vanilla essence.
6. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
This cake is great with creme fraiche, yoghurt and fruit.