I've made this cake a few times and it's super scrumptious. Usually I top it with a yoghurt glaze but I wanted my dairy-intolerant friend to be able to eat it. This is a tweaked version of a recipe my mum found.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
for the cake -
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 5.4 oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 12oz grated carrot, roughly 3 large carrots
- 1oz walnuts (or more!)
for the icing -
- half cup thick soya yoghurt or Total yoghurt for those that can eat dairy
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Heat the oven to 170°C.
2. Mix the sugar and the oil in a bowl and then add the eggs one at a time.
3. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into another bowl and mix well. Add the flour mix to the egg mix and stir until combined.
4. Then fold the grated carrots and walnuts into the cake mix and place in a suitable round cake tin.
5. Cook the cake at 170°C for 25 minutes and then turn the heat down to 160°C and cook for a further 20/25 minutes.
6. This cake is delicious with or without icing, so it's up to you. If you're opting for icing, put the yoghurt, syrup and essence together and leave it in the fridge until the cake is ready and has completely cooled. It is important to leave the cake to cool, otherwise the yoghurt will melt on top of it.