This one's an old favourite. Passed to me by a dear friend who is gluten intolerant, it always gets great feedback. I made it for my parents to take on a shooting weekend, hence the flying bird. Sadly there was none left for me...
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
for the cake -
- 6oz almonds, blitzed in a food processor to your required consistency (I like to leave them slightly crunchy and not like breadcrumbs) or ground almonds
- 5oz caster sugar
- 4oz butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp almond essence (pretty essential)
- zest of 2 lemons
for the icing -
- 3oz icing sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
1. Heat the oven to 170°C.
2. Beat the butter and the sugar together in a bowl or food processor and then add the eggs one at a time.
3. Finally, spoon in the ground almonds, lemon zest, and essence to form a good cake consistency.
4. Pour the mixture into a cake tin and bake in the oven at 170°C for 25-30 minutes, until it is cooked right through.
5. When the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and leave it to cool for a few minutes. Place it onto a large plate, or straight into a cake tin and pour on the icing (juice of half a lemon added to the icing sugar) while the cake it still warm.
6. Serve either cold or hot.