This soda bread is super easy, and once you have all the ingredients, you'll be able to make it every week - saving yourself lots of pennies. No kneading or faff...so it takes very little time.
Ingredients for the Soda Bread (roughly 14 slices)
- 8oz rye flour or brown flour
- 4oz white flour or gluten free white flour
- 2oz oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- half a 500ml natural yoghurt pot (250g), the rest filled with milk to the brim
- a handful of mixed seeds (like pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds - mixed inside or sprinkled on top)
- poppy seeds for sprinkling (optional)
1. Start by pre heating the oven to 205°c.
5. To check that the loaf is ready, take it out of the oven and tap it's top. If it's firm, remove it from the tin, and pat its bottom. If the bottom sounds hollow when tapped, its ready to cool down on a wire rack and serve as and when you want it.
This dip is extremely easy, as well as being super healthy. Frozen broad beans are sold in most supermarkets and taste pretty good too. Great with toasted soda bread!
Broad Bean, Yoghurt and Dill Dip (serves 4)
- 250g thick yoghurt
- a handful of broad beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a few sprigs of dill, chopped
1. Simply cook your broad beans in boiling water until soft, then cool them down with cold water.
2. Put the yoghurt into a bowl and sprinkle with the cold broad beans. Pour over the olive oil, top with chopped dill and finish off with salt and pepper.