This recipe is from Yummly.com and makes a great alternative birthday cake. It is absolutely delicious and slightly healthier than normal chocolate cake because it doesn't contain added flour.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 1 1/4 cup of amaretti biscuits (about 25 small ones)
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 a cup of unsalted butter, softened (about 100g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz good quality chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Start by preheating the oven to 180°c and greasing a 9" cake tin.
2. Place the amaretti biscuits and almonds in a food processor and whizz until a fine meal forms. A bit of crunch is good! Put this mixture into a bowl, stir in the cinnamon and set aside.
3. Heat a little water in a small saucepan. Put a bowl on top of the saucepan and make sure that it doesn't touch the water. Break the chocolate into the bowl and stir until it's melted. Leave this to cool while you finish the rest of the cake.
4. Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor for a couple of minutes. Slowly add the eggs one at a time (with the motor running), and scrape down the sides with a spatular.
6. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
For the topping, I mixed melted chocolate with a little cream and icing sugar, but you can also dust it with coco powder. This cake is great with creme fraiche, yoghurt and fruit.