After realising I had one too many courgettes in my fridge, I decided to do some experimenting. Why wouldn't courgette taste great in pesto? This recipe is cheese free and therefore vegan, and has a moist nutty texture, even though it contains very little oil. Healthy healthy! Perfect swirled through pasta or rice, or used as a dip or spread.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/2 a courgette
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- fresh or frozen basil from a 31g bag, stalks removed and discarded
- 20 almonds
- 4 cherry or small fresh tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, or any
- salt and pepper
1. Start by turning the oven to 200°c to bake the courgette. Slice the courgette and drizzle with the sunflower oil. Season well and bake for 10-15 minutes until soft and golden.
2. Blitz the almonds in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. *Some bigger crumbs will give the sauce some texture*.
3. Add the cooked courgette slices with their oil, crushed garlic, tomatoes, and basil to the mixer with the almonds. Mix for a few minutes until smooth.