Who doesn’t love a delicious batch of flapjacks? With this recipe, there is no compromise, as it happens to be dairy, gluten and sugar free! I have teamed up with Twinings this month and will be doing some healthy tea recipes for their blog. The recipes can be found here: http://www.twinings.co.uk/blog.
The Fudge Melts Green Tea helps bring out the gooey, sweet flavours of the dates and lessons the amount of vegetable oil used, making this a super healthy recipe for all to enjoy.
Ingredients (makes 12 square pieces)
- 180g gluten-free oats
- 175g chopped dates *these don’t have to be fancy Medjool dates!*
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 Twinings ‘Fudge Melts Green Tea’ Bag
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Start by turning your oven to 175°c. It should be nice and hot by the time you put the flapjack batch in.
2. Boil the kettle and get a mug ready to brew your tea bag. While the kettle is boiling, start mashing the bananas in a large bowl, until they are runny and completely mashed. *It is important to use over-ripe bananas so that they mash easily and give moisture to the mixture.*
3. Once the kettle is boiled, fill your cup of tea like normal and leave the bag to brew for a few minutes. Take in all those beautiful smells of fudge and green tea!
4. Add the vegetable oil to the bowl with the mashed bananas, and then spoon in 6 tbsp of infused tea (60g if using weighing scales).
5. Next stir in the oats, vanilla essence, and chopped dates. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes so that the oats absorb the oil and tea.
6. Place the flapjack mix into a suitable greased baking dish (a square or rectangular baking tin or glass dish should suffice) and flatten it down with a fork.
7. Cook the flapjacks for 30 minutes, until nice and golden. Remove them from the oven and leave them to rest for 10 minutes before tucking in.