If you like courgettes and Italian cooking, this is the recipe for you. Not only is it extremely easy, but tastes fresh, healthy and delicious. I like to eat these on their own, for a 'light' supper option, but they can also be accompanied with meat or fish; or as a starter for a dinner party. The great thing about this recipe is that you don't have to be exact with the ingredients...it'll taste good either way.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 courgettes, cut in half length ways
- 10 cherry or small tomatoes, cut in half
- a handful of pine nuts
- a handful of grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese)
- 6 basil leaves, chopped or torn into small pieces
- a dribble of olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Start by turning the oven to 200°c.
2. Once the courgettes have been cut in half, make a small triangular cut length ways down the centre to remove some of the seeds - in order to place your mixture on top. Some recipes will tell you to remove all the seeds when stuffing a courgette, or similar vegetable, however I feel this is a bit wasteful.
3. Place the two courgette halves skin side down on a baking tray and dribble with a little sunflower or vegetable oil. Put them in the pre heated oven for 20 minutes to soften them.
4. While the courgettes are baking, you can begin to make the topping. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until combined.
5. Once the courgettes have been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove them and pour your topping neatly over each half. Place back in the oven for a further 8 minutes and enjoy hot or cold.
Add a few chilli flakes if you like things spicy.